When the world realized that lead was poisonous, it was already too late. First it was lead paint and lead in water sources. It has long been known that lead is toxic and can cause serious health problems, especially in children. Excessive amounts of lead in the bloodstream can cause neurological damage, loss of I.Q. points and even brain damage.
CertifiGroup assists manufacturers, retail stores and government agencies in the identification and analysis of lead contamination.
Nowadays, lead has found it's way into consumer products and toys. Some toys contain a lead core coated with a thin coat of another material (usually paint). In addition some of the toys are decorated with brightly colored lead containing enamel and pigments. Additional parts of the toys may be attached to the main body of the toy with lead containing solder. Touching lead containing toys can allow lead to accumulate on children's hands. More lead enters the blood stream when children put their hands, or sometimes the toy itself, in their mouths. Just by looking at a toy, it is not possible to tell whether it is lead containing.